What is Silverlight?
Silverlight 4 delivers a full suite of powerful capabilities to business application developers, bringing the best-of-breed .NET platform to browser-based experiences. Silverlight provides an ideal platform for developing and deploying modern business applications for both customer facing and staff-facing applications.
Silverlight 4 consolidates its position as the natural choice for building business applications on the Web:
New Features for Application Developers
- Comprehensive printing support enabling hardcopy reports and documents as well as a virtual print view, independent of screen content.
- A full set of forms controls with over 60 customizable, styleable components. New controls include RichTextbox with hyperlinks, images, in-line controls, and editing. Enhanced controls include DataGrid with sortable/resizeable columns and copy/paste rows.
- WCF RIA Services introduces enterprise class networking and data access for building n-tier applications including transactions, paging of data, WCF and HTTP enhancements.
- Localization enhancements with Bi-Directional text, Right-to-Left support and complex scripts such as Arabic, Hebrew and 31 new languages including Vietnamese and Indic support.
- The .NET Common Runtime (CLR) now enables the same compiled code to be run on the desktop and Silverlight without change.
- Enhanced databinding support increases flexibility and productivity through data grouping/editing and string formatting within bindings.
- Managed Extensibility Framework supports building large composite applications.
- Exclusive tooling support for Silverlight, new in Visual Studio 2010. Including a full editable design surface, drag & drop data-binding, automatically bound controls, datasource selection, integration with Expression Blend styling resources, Silverlight project support and full IntelliSense.